Friday, October 3, 2008

your order is ready... toot my whistle

So I have a question to all my blogging women out there.

  • Do you cook a dinner for your hubby every night?
  • Do you cook him breakfast?
  • Can you make homemade food, like biscuits or gravy?

I'm just curious. My hubby came home so proud. I guess a discussion got started between him and some of the other guys at work. He mentioned how I used to get up at 4 in the morning to cook him breakfast before he left for the rig (which he no longer works for, thank goodness). I would go back to sleep and then get back up in time for my work. Some of the guys were so envious (Which by the way, let me tell you is a huge compliment to me). So then the two secretaries jumped in and told him he would have been tough luck if he had been married to them. Which he then informed them that no, it would have been tough for you!
So while we were eating this dinner, we talked...


Looks kinda messy, I don't usually put the side dishes in pretty bowls unless we have company. No sense in washing two sets of dishes... and funnily, I use my glass pyrex measuring cup for a gravy bowl. I have a gravy bowl, but it's oooooooold, and I am so scared to break it.


Both of our kids sit at the table with us, it's not an option in my house. Sorry you don't get a picture of me, I wasn't properly dressed!

... Hubby and I talked and wondered about other people. I don't think most ladies my age know how to make homemade biscuits and gravy, or knows how to pickle, or has ever butchered chickens and hogs. I think without wanting to say it, my hubby realized he had it pretty darn good.

Now, don't think it's not hard on me... I eat home cooked food for breakfast, lunch, and supper. There ARE days I crave a big juicy burger. But for me, eating out once or twice a week is still a treat since I quit work. When I worked, it wasn't so bad, I got my daily amounts of junk food and grease. But now I miss it occasionally.

Anyways, it was a big pride boost to know that I 'tend' to my bread winner. But I learned from the best (DeLeta and Grannie Nadine)

So I'm curious, do you cook for your family? Leave a comment and tell me what you do...


Today I worked on my scrapbook area. I actually accomplished quite a bit, but you couldn't tell at a glance. I organized all the drawers on the desk. I still have the filing cabinet to work on though. I put a bunch of stuff up for trade on my scrapbook site (well not mine)... And later this weekend, in honor of the cleaning out, I have a couple of accordion albums to give away. So if you are interested, make sure you check back!

Just an update on Lauren, if anyone is interested... I found her yesterday picking up the battery charger of my laptop, holding up to her ear, and attempting to say "hello?". It was very obvious she was mocking us when we answer the phone. She also now says 'uhh-ohh' whenever she falls or drops something/ It's not all the time, but she does it. And without going back and looking, I'm not sure if I posted earlier, but she now can hold her sippy cups up herself and drink successfully.

I'll leave you today with some pictures of Lauren tootin' my whistle. It's from vacation bible school, and she loves it!











Make sure you check back for the giveaways this month! Love to you all!

OH! And thanks to all who left comments the last couple of days. We have enjoyed reading them!

Shannon

9 comments:

Monica said...

I wish I cooked a few times a week for my family. Sadly enough it's a treat for us to eat at home. :( If I stayed home, I would do it more I know. I think it's getting more and more like that since I see so many families out too. We're trying this thing this month were we dont' go out to eat at all... We'll see....

I think you are awesome to do that for your family. It's so special that time at the end of the day to just take a few minutes to sit still and relax. GO MOM!!! :)

Adrienne said...

I swear, and I know I keep saying this and will probably still keep saying it, but Lauren just keeps growing more and more gorgeous!! Each time I think she can't possibly get cuter and prettier.

As for cooking, I'm a mix between the two. I used to love to cook for my fella, but he works nights now and we don't often have dinner together. I have to admit that I don't know how to make good biscuits from scratch. I'm a much better baker than a cook.

~*~ Stephanie ~*~ said...

I cook dinner almost every night -- at least once a week its just an easy throw together meal. I am not a great cook, but not afraid to try making things from scratch --- I definitely need the directions right there though.... I am not one of those women who just seem to "know" how much of this or that to put in or what spices just go well together and in what dishes.

Now I don't cook breakfast because it would be a waste. Dave is not a morning person let alone throw in breakfast too. So for me and Nick we will either have oatmeal, waffles, bagels, french toast sometimes eggs although he must be more like daddy than me about breakfast... he doesn't like any of it but the oatmeal... and usually he doesn't want that.

The guys my dad works with think its unbelievable what my mom does. She gets up with him every morning ---- even though she doesn't have little ones to attend to anymore... she gets up at 4:30, gets him breakfast if he wants it, and then packs him a big lunch... when he comes home there is always dinner there for him. :)

Anonymous said...

Shannon, my mother told me it was my DUTY to see that my husband was well fed. We went through some tough times and the breadwinner (think husband) always filled his plate first then me then mother. My mother also told me that the cook can throw out more food than the breadwinner can bring in. We never threw away leftovers - veggies went in a dish in the freezer for soup or were reused in another form (think: mashed potatoes, then divided for potato cakes and you guessed it, soup.) I think most women of my generation were raised believing their jobs as home makers included 3 meals a day, and basically, taking care of the house and family so the husband could work. Pardon the lecture - love, grandma

Anonymous said...

Shannon, my mother told me it was my DUTY to see that my husband was well fed. We went through some tough times and the breadwinner (think husband) always filled his plate first then me then mother. My mother also told me that the cook can throw out more food than the breadwinner can bring in. We never threw away leftovers - veggies went in a dish in the freezer for soup or were reused in another form (think: mashed potatoes, then divided for potato cakes and you guessed it, soup.) I think most women of my generation were raised believing their jobs as home makers included 3 meals a day, and basically, taking care of the house and family so the husband could work. Pardon the lecture - love, grandma

hiscrappergirl said...

Hey Shannon,

Love the new blog, finally getting back around to visiting them all again. I cannot believe how big and cute Lauren is!!! and I have to say you are not the only one who takes a gazillion pictures at the park. The really sad thing is that I do it every time!! feel free to pop into our blog to see how everyone is doing!!

Shena said...

Shannon, I cook two meals a day lunch and supper. I have an hour off from work at lunch and cook and then we always eat supper together at night. My family always ate supper together at night when I was growing up too!

Carol said...

Shannon, well I use to cook dinner regularly for my family. Then I had a relapse in my health, and my darling dh has taken on the duty. I love to cook for my family. I'm starting to help now that I'm feeling better. DH is trying to loose like 30 lbs though so I think he likes being incharge of the cooking. Who am I to argue.

Although I don't cook biscuts or gravey, I have made them.

Breakfast we eat cereal, or toast. On the weekends my daughter likes me to make her omlets, but dh hates eggs. We also love homade waffles and pancakes, that's yummy after church.

I love my crockpot, and making home made soup though. Can't say I've butcherd anything, but I'm a California suburbs girl so that probably not a big shocker.

Well have a great day.

Carol
sb.com

Saleana said...

My husband and I both work full time but I still manage to cook so my family eats a warm home cooked meal every night. I do a lot of my cooking on my days off so it's easier for my husband to start warming things up before I get home.
We live in the Pacific Northwest so we eat a ton of fish. Salmon and shrimp are our favorite. I also make several "Indian" dishes. My family loves curry and different spices.
For breakfast, on days that we all have work and school I wake up and make oatmeal or cream of wheat with taost and turkey bacon. It makes me feel good leaving the house knowing that the boy's tummies are warm and full. On my days off we LOVE french toast with turkey bacon and eggs.
I can bake more homemade foods then I can cook homemade. Growing up my moms family is form Kansas so she made alot of homemade biscuits and gravy and noodles. She always made sure we were full. I loved that.
Shannon, I love your blog!