Thursday, October 2, 2008

More fun park pictures and Methodism 101

Continuing with my post a day, I would like to take a moment and share something I learned last night in Church...

In case you haven't noticed, my blog is no longer just about Lauren. It's a mix of all things; scrapbooking, photography, my kids, me, my hubby, and ocasionally even more serious things such as prayer and religion.

If you don't know, I'm a Methodist... how I came to be a Methodist, I'm not really sure. I mean, I know how I did it. I attended church, chose to become a member, and am now a lay leader. But it's not like I sat down, researched a bunch of religions and chose Methodism. I never really was a believer. I mean I wondered, but because of my childhood I didn't think I could believe that there was this loving God who put me in those situations. But when I was 22 I started wondering about our God, and became very curious. Throughout my childhood I attended a few churches, off and on. A couple of baptist churches, a mormon for a few months, and a few others in between. I never felt at home. I never felt peace. None of it ever made sense and even seemed silly at times.

I attended church with Levi's Grannie Nadine one Sunday in 2006, and though it took me a while to convince myself to go back, once I did it wasn't long that I was feeling the need. I needed to be baptized, I needed to become a member of this wonderful church, I needed to know Christ. Maybe it was the age difference, or maybe it was the Lord's hands guiding me to be where I needed to be at the right time.

I love my church. I love the feeling I feel when I walk in on Sunday mornings. I love learning.

So last night I learned about how Methodists came to be. John Wesley, the founder of Methodists, was made fun of during his attendance at Oxford in 1728 for his formed 'religious society'. Other students in jest called them the "Bible Moths" and the "Methodists" because of their order and method in their habits of prayer. The way our preacher said it, it is the only church he knew named from a form of derision. I agree, I'm just glad we weren't called "The Church of The Bible Moths"!

I cannot wait til next Wednesday night. I love to learn this way. Unfortunately I did not get the will or the self discipline to sit down and read and teach myself as well as I do when in a group.

This Sunday I am helping with my first baptism. I don't do much, introduce the children up for baptism, hold the book open for the Preacher, and hold the water. I like my new position, aside from being on the committees and having a voice, it gives me a chance to have hands-on learning.

.....................................................................................

So in a hurry yesterday, I didn't get a chance to post any pictures of Lauren on the see-saw at the park. Of all the items there, she loved the see-saws most. I couldn't make her leave them. So here are a few more pictures showcasing her adventure.


















So today is all about cleaning and organizing... I have really let my scrap and desk area go in the last few months. And though it would appear that I have been doing productive things, if you are judging by the mess, I really haven't done anything but stack stuff here. Who knows, maybe you all will get a sneak peek at the area I do all things crafty. Keep in mind, I had to move from a whole big room, to a very small corner in my bedroom. My poor bedroom doesn't even feel like a bedroom anymore! I need one of those home makeover shows to come rescue me.


Ohhh, look! more park pictures! (hint the sarcasm?)








I swear it looks like she is doing a chin up in this picture...


Well, I suppose that's it for now... I shall return with more boring stuff to talk about tomorrow. Until then, have a great day and goodbye!

Shannon

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I feel like I'm spouting all sorts of boring stuff when I write, too. But you'd be surprised about what others find interesting! I learn more about you little by little through your blog. :o)

Monica said...

I love park photos too. If you look at my book you'll see about 1/3 of Evans photos are from the park! lol

Saleana said...

That looks like a fun park! Jmail and Jibrl (my boys) love see-saw's.

Saleana said...

I love hearing how others found religon. You gave me a good idea to share with others on my blog how I became a Muslim.