First, I wanted to share how much Pioneer Woman inspires me... If you don't know who she is by now, you are soooooo missing out! I am addicted to her, well not to her personally, but to her site! I visit it at least 3 (more like 13) times a day to see if anything is new... She is the ultimate "city-turned country" housewife. She cooks, she homeschools, she's funny, she's romantic, and she is a huge inspiration in photography. And if none of that interests you, her husband is gorgeous!!! Has a nice butt too!
Anywho, it's Sunday, after church. I just laid the princess down, and as usual went straight to my computer to check 'things' out. Now here is the honest part. I rarely (i.e. never) look at her cooking section. It's not that it didn't interest me, I just use my free time for things that interest me more. But I stumbled across her cooking index and hungry as I was, thought what the heck:
I love onions. I can't say it enough. I love onions.
And lo and be hold, she had a recipe for onions that sounded amazing. So right now as I am typing this, my onions are bathing in their buttermilk bath. By the way, I already knew this, but this is how awesome she is; she explained how to make buttermilk if you aren't as cool as she is and already have some available.
So here's my journey:
Set out your stuff and take a picture of your really cute 'pig' cutting board. We also have a pig bacon press and a pig hotplate to go along with this cutie!

My stuff:

Oh! and can I get a 'Woot-Woot'!!! No, it wasn't out of date, or even close. In fact the expiration date says Feb. 4. And it seems to taste fine as well!

PW (Pioneer Woman) says one of the keys to this recipe is that the onions soak for an hour... I'm not sure I can wait that long... I'sss hungray!!!
I'll spare you all the boring step-by-step I did, because you can see the real and much more interesting thing here: Pioneer Woman Cooks- Onion Strings . However, I will admit that I didn't quite follow her recipe. For one, I am not a red pepper fan... I used
- garlic salt
- pepper
- season salt

- cavenders greek seasoning.
And for second, I didn't cut my onions as thin as she showed, I made more like small onion rings.
*Okay, so 45 minutes later, I couldn't stand it... I was famished!
I followed PW's strict instructions to heat the oil to 375, and of course by the time I took the picture, the temp had dropped a bit.

Finally, I was done! PW talked about eating them with other foods, or alone. I for one am having them with a plate of brisket topped off with Head & Country bbq sauce ... it's a "MADE IN OKLAHOMA" product, and it's dern good too! They should compensate me for the plug in...

The end result:

Please excuse me while I enjoy this with some good 'ol sweet tea!!!
Oh! And Lauren sends her thanks PW!!!


.............................................................................................................................................................
Okay I'm back...
You know the saying "down on their level" or whatever it is... isn't there a saying like that?
Anywho, Lauren got a hold of our little crappy kodak camera one night. BTW (by the way) I think I have mentioned this before, but don't waste your money on Kodak. Just trust me, don't. (they probably hate me for that)
So back to what I was saying; she got a hold of the camera on New Year's Eve at Grannie Betty's house, which was our Christmas as well. So I thought what have I got to lose if she drops it or breaks it? And after a few people helping her remember to push the right button, this is what she achieved:

I think someone was holding her and helped her take the picture of her cousin...

Sorry that the pictures have smudge marks... but you can see why.

Talk about "getting down on her level". I believe that I will try this experiment again soon. It's truly like looking through her eyes. I know another blogger recently posted something similar, only her daughter was much older and took way better pictures. It never even occurred to me to let Lauren have the camera. I did let Hunter have one once... I'll have to see if I can find those pictures.
I found two:
Granted Hunter was a little older, and I was younger, he still definitely had a different view. On a side note, I can't believe how skinny Dixie was in the pictures. And the cat was Cowboy... I miss him, but my allergies don't.
Well, I'm off to iron a few shirts and enjoy my Sunday afternoon. I have a church meeting tonight.
Hugs and kisses to all!!!

If you enjoyed this post, please let me know...




6 comments:
Oh, darn you. Another blog to feed my addiction.
I'm currently hooked on smittenkitchen.com. Someday when I have free time, I'm going to have a blog. And cook delicious things so I can post it. :)
Amy
PS - The wedding is in 48 days! I'm only slightly freaking out.
I'll have to check out the PW site, sounds interesting!
Gosh shat food looks great!!!
Makes me wish I liked onions!!!! looks like you had fun.
I love looking at Evan's photos. I will someday make a book of all of them so he can see how he's grown.
I love PW, too! And I'm envious how Lauren eats. Lukas is such a picky eater and just sits and sneers at foods like meat and veggies. I just keep offering and hoping...
guess what! I hitched a ride! Good to read you blogging again. Having a nice warm day today - we had a covered dish luncheon and these people cook goooooood. Gotta read some more emails, but I couldn't resist this one first. grandma
Post a Comment