Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bring on the 'lent'...

We celebrated our ash Wednesday services last night at church. Lent is the preparation of Easter, and we will spend the next 46 days (40 days not counting Sundays) celebrating the life and death of Christ. Basically the next 6 Sunday's will be celebrated as 'little Easter' Sundays.

Last night we started with Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday gets it's name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of the faithful as a sign of repentence using ashes made from the previous year's Palm Sunday palm leaves.

Lauren wasn't sure about my ashes.


Lent is marked by fasting and other acts of penance. Today, most people give up their 'vice'. Like our pastor told us about a 15 year old girl who gave up dr. pepper for the 40 days. It's a way to get closer to God. You spend the 40 days renewing your faith through prayer.


I also wanted to share pictures from our recent trip to the World's Largest Cross... This thing is massive!!! The trip was very short because it was cold and super windy! But we pass by it every month, so I am looking forward to visiting again.








Can anyone guess who the person is in the next picture?

She looks like me huh? Yep, that's my baby sister. We are sisters again!!!




Lauren just loves her Bubba... he's her buddy! I love that she is tugging on his arm in this picture.

Aside from that, we will be tripping to OKC on Sunday after church to stay overnight for Lauren to have tubes on Monday.


See my 'brush-fire'? They were watching cartoons.

They are two wonderful blessings!

I could never give them up!

2 comments:

Monica said...

very cool. so you didn't tell us what you gave up....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Monica - so tell us! I know we have spoken so often of stopping at the Cross. I'm glad you finally did it. Sending you an email. grandma