First off, the invitations are done, and going in the mail this week:

Aren't they cute? The pictures doesn't do them justice... They are a cute picture of a cowgirl I edited in photoshop and printed on some cardstock. Then the printed information is on vellum tied on top with some jute rope.
Also this weekend, Hobart held a small rodeo, so we took Hunter. We surprised him by letting him enter the greased pig contest, the goat tail tying contest, and the calf scramble. He also helped with the mutton bustin' for the younger kids. He had an absolute blast, and it was all he could talk about meeting some of the bull riders, seeing the bulls, and playing a 'part' in the rodeo clown's skit. Gotta love small towns!
Lauren had so much fun watching. She was very interested!

Below are a few pics of the greased pig contest. It was literally a little pig greased with crisco cooking oil. The winner got $50, Hunter got a hold of the pig, but they called the other boy as winner. Hunter had the back legs and the little boy had the front.



Hunter sat on the fence and watched the other kids finish the goat tail tying contest:

I'm also including the video of Hunters part in the skit. The Rodeo clown pretended he was from Hollywood looking for some 'extras' to play a part in a western movie. They all had to play a stunt shot part. One girl was so cute, she was 'dodging' the bullets.
(you may want to push the play button, then pause it, and let it buffer atleast 50% or more before viewing it... this keeps it from being choppy)
So for those of you who are not familiar with rodeos, particularly small-town rodeos, most towns only have one big Rodeo, in which they announce their Rodeo Queen. I had a flood of memories come back while watching the crowning in the arena.
Another tid-bit for those that don't know about me, I was miss Clinton 2002 Rodeo Queen. My sister and I drove around for two weeks, selling tickets like crazy, and at the last minute, a bunch of people came to town to board their horses and participate, and I sold the little bit of tickets that pushed me over the top to win. Wow! Was I so excited when they announced my name. To this day I remember thinking that I had placed third, and it took a second to realize that they were announcing my name! Here are a few pictures someone took that I scanned in years ago.



3 comments:
Oh man, I haven't been to a rodeo in years! I used to love going to the local one when when I was younger.
Shannon, you remember we heard one of the rodeo officers telling that you had won, and we had to sit there and listen to you worry because we didn't want to spoil the surprise. The pics are good and I like the sb pages down the side. You didn't mention that the queen also won a fancy horse trailer! You deserved it - you worked hard. grandma
Now that I think about it a little - that horse trailer was the first thing Thomas' new pickup ever pulled and it looked GOOOOOD. We came to the crowning on Friday night, came back to see you ride in the parade all fancy on Saturday morning and stayed for the rodeo that night. What A Day!!! And I realized how special Hunter is. You had him dressed in his cowboy outfit - boots, spurs, and his big hat. When they played the national anthem, he whipped that hat off and placed it over his heart - made me so proud of him and all the other much older cowboys for showing our flag, our anthem and our country such respect.grandma
Post a Comment